Guidelines for a Virtual Zeitgeist Half Marathon
Thank you all for supporting our virtual half marathon. We appreciate your patience and understanding! Here are some general guidelines for ‘going virtual:’
- Choose their own 13.1-mile course. You could use ‘mapmyrun.com’ to develop a course or find a course.
- Run or walk anytime between November 6 to November 22.
- Run/walk with other athletes.
- Time yourself during your run or walk. We will post your time on our web virtual results if you submit it to us. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a photo of yourself during the run/walk.
- Athletes do not need to wear a bib number during your virtual Zeitgeist. You do not need to include hills.
- There will be no awards for the faster virtual Zeitgeist athletes.
- Mail or deliver your race packet with an embroidered shirt, finisher medal and bib number. We don’t know exactly when this will happen as we are waiting for them to be shipped.
We expect to process the partial refunds in about a week.
Zeitgeist Half Marathon Goes Virtual
We have been watching the Covid situation in Idaho for many months. As you probably know, roughly 50% of the eligible population is vaccinated, infection rates are high, and the death toll is over 3,100 people and rising. Crisis standards of care are in place for the hospitals and our health care providers are under considerable stress.
The city of Boise has established Covid requirements for special events like Zeitgeist Half Marathon and we support their efforts to keep events safe. A partial list of requirements includes proof of full vaccination or proof of a negative covid test within 48 hours of the event for all athletes, volunteers, and vendors. Masks must be worn if 6 feet of distance cannot be maintained. The event is required to provide ‘ambassadors’ to remind/enforce the wearing of masks. The city is monitoring events for compliance with a post-event report generated and submitted to the committee which approves special event permits.
Considering the covid situation and the difficulty of meeting Boise city’s covid requirements for special events, we decided not to proceed with an in-person race. We are converting all entries to the virtual event (November 6, through November 21). We will provide bib numbers, embroidered long-sleeve tech. T shirts, and finisher medals. We expect to have those items to the entrants by early November. We will refund all entries down to the $42 virtual entry fee (except the original processing fees). For most of you that is a $23 refund.
Thank you for your continued support of Zeitgeist Half Marathon and our non-profit’s efforts to fund research for the treatment and cure of polycystic kidney disease. We hope too see you next year under better and safer conditions.